Mary Lea Park
Adjacent to the Rockport Opera House is lovely Mary Lea Park with splendid views of Rockport Harbor and Penobscot Bay. The garden setting of Mary Lea Park makes it very suitable for receptions, cookouts or picnics. An ample parking lot is located a few steps away.
The name of the park acknowledges the gift of the land to the town by visionary philanthropist, Mary Louise Curtis Bok Zimbalist, who made many other gifts of land to the towns of Rockport and Camden.
The park is dedicated to Lea Luboshutz, a well-known violinist, teacher at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, and good friend of Mrs. Zimbalist. Lea Luboshutz cared deeply about Rockport and gave numerous benefit concerts each summer to raise money for special projects in the town. The dedication plaque in the park reads: “Dedicated to the memory of Lea Luboshutz 1886 – 1965 renowned violinist, teacher, and beloved member of this community.
The park was designed by Stubby Wheeler, a popular Rockport horticulturist, and Irene Wolf, the daughter of Lea Luboshutz.